Started construction on the fourth block of the Discombobulator modular. With an MOTM-650 and a couple of other things on the way, plus wanting to build some of my own panels, it's time for more space.
I started with pieces that I pre-cut some time ago and put away, at the time I built block 3. The basic frame consists of five pieces -- a plywood base, a bottom rail, two side rails, and the top rail. This is what it will look like when it's done:
It's hard to see in the photo above, but the bottom rail is shorter than the top rail. The ends of the side rails are on the base, with the sides butted up against the ends of the bottom rail. This way, the bottom rail helps stabilize the side rails a bit. The top rail sits on top of the upper ends of the side rails. When it's done, modules will be fastened to the top and bottom rails, by drilling holes in the faces of the rails wherever needed, and using wood screws. The power supplies and distribution will be fastened to the base, behind the modules.
It begins with gluing the bottom rail to the base. A nice bead of construction adhesive:
Press it on there and clamp it down. It's centered at the front edge; there's a clamp on the base at each end to keep it from wanting to slide sideways while the adhesive is setting up.
Admittedly it's not much to look at so far.